The world has finally taken a deep breath after three years of pandemic. While the pandemic’s shadow still lingers, it has also cast a stark light on the importance of our most fundamental act – health.
Long COVID-19’s lingering respiratory symptoms, affecting 7.5% to 41% of non-hospitalized cases, are a stark reminder of the fragility of our lungs. This is coupled with the staggering statistics of lung diseases like COPD (the third leading cause of death globally), pneumonia (the leading cause of death in children under 5 and adults over 65), and lung cancer (the deadliest cancer with dismal survival rates). A clean and fresh breath become one of the spotlight worldwide and demands a renewed focus on air quality and protecting our respiratory systems. Google Maps built a series of environment APIs including Air Quality API, Pollen API and Solar API, to bring new insight and applications to different industries. Here are 9 application scenarios to empower your business.
How to apply these APIs in different industry
Air Quality API
With air quality concerns rising globally, Google built this powerful Air Quality API that users can explore pollutant heatmaps with 500-meter resolution data access over 70 air quality indexes and specific pollutant levels, and receive personalized health recommendations for any location in over 100 countries.
Air Quality API validates and organizes several terabytes of data each hour from multiple data sources — including government monitoring stations, meteorological data, sensors and satellites — to provide a local and universal index. Part of this calculation involves looking at live traffic information to understand congestion data and car volume in an area, and we use machine learning to predict different pollutants in that area at a given time.
Application scenario of Air Quality API
1. Automotive Industry
- Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS): With real-time air quality data and weather data for improved navigation and safety features, suggesting the best trip options and routes.
- Predictive maintenance: Sensors and AI analyze data to predict and prevent vehicle breakdowns.
- Personalized driving experiences: Adapting air purifying and conditioning settings based on air quality data, keeps your breath always fresh.
2. Transportation Industry
- Smart logistics and last-mile delivery: Track air quality data and weather data to optimize routes, avoid areas with poor air quality, and keep your driver safe.
- Predictive maintenance for fleet vehicles: Monitoring the component depreciation under bad air quality and weather, to allocate and maintain the fleet in time, with no more incidents.
- Inform public transit decisions: Help transit agencies allocate resources to areas with poor air quality, prioritize electric vehicles, and adjust schedules based on pollution levels.
3. Home Intelligence Industry
- Smart home automation: Integrate air purifiers and ventilation systems with Air Quality API to create healthier indoor environments, especially for allergy and asthma sufferers after the pandemic era.
- Personalized health monitoring and assistance: Tracking vital signs, and medication schedules, and providing tailored advice on outdoor activities, ventilation, and protective measures, especially for people who suffer from sensitive respiratory systems.
4. Travel Industry
- Dynamic itinerary adjustments: Travelers can adjust their planned activities based on real-time air quality changes. Imagine opting for a scenic hike on a day with clear skies rather than risking exposure on a high-pollution day.
Humans need air to survive, better air brings better health. For some groups of people, especially those with allergies to particles in the air, a single allergy particle can lead to harmful consequences. Google proudly presented the Pollen API for these groups of people, which provides over 65 countries with localized pollen count data, heatmap visualizations, detailed plant allergen information, and actionable tips for allergy sufferers to limit exposure.
Google uses machine learning to determine where specific pollen-producing plants are located. Together with local wind patterns, to calculate the seasonality and daily amount of pollen grains and predict how the pollen will spread.
Application scenario of Pollen API
5. Pharmaceutical Industry
- Targeted drug development: Create medications tailored to specific pollen allergens or geographic regions, increasing efficacy and reducing side effects.
- Supply Chain Management and Logistics: Predict demand for allergy medications to anticipate peak allergy seasons and potential outbreaks strategically and ensure adequate supply and prevent stockouts.
- Personalizing allergy treatment plans: Pharmacists can use pollen data to recommend personalized medication regimens and allergy management strategies based on individual sensitivities and local pollen types.
6. Healthcare Industry
- Health monitoring and feedback: Individuals with chronic conditions can monitor their health responses to different air quality and pollen density conditions, providing valuable data for personal health management.
- Allergy alert and reminder: By leveraging geo-local pollen data, you can provide health-focused alerts and recommendations based on the specific needs and circumstances of individual allergy sufferers, for example, perhaps an alert to take medication before a specific pollen count increases or Notify allergy sufferers when the risk of allergies is low so they can enjoy outdoor activities.
The global energy crisis, higher electricity prices, policy momentum, and reduced costs have driven unprecedented growth in renewable energy, with solar accounting for two-thirds of 2023’s projected increase in global renewable capacity. A 60% surge in Google searches for “rooftop solar power” last year reveals a global awakening to this clean, renewable resource. As solar accessibility blossoms, so does the demand for information and technology to empower the industry. Google answered the call with its Solar API, nestled within a new suite of environment APIs from Google Maps Platform.
Solar API unlocks a treasure trove of data on over 320 million buildings across 40 countries. Imagine detailed insights into building dimensions, rooftop sizes and shading patterns, and even optimal panel configurations!
Application Scenario of Solar API
7. Solar Energy Industry
- Streamlining Solar Installation Sales Processes: Solar companies can assess a property’s solar potential remotely using the API, eliminating the need for costly and time-consuming in-person visits at the initial stage. This saves time and resources for both the company and potential customers.
8. Engineering Industry
- Site Prospecting: Identify suitable rooftops for solar installations based on geographic location, building characteristics, and shading patterns using the API. This streamlines site selection and project prioritization.
- Panel Layout Optimization: Design solar panel layouts that maximize energy production while considering factors like roof shape, shading, and available space.
- Urban Solar Mapping: Analyze solar potential across entire cities or regions to inform urban planning, energy policies, and incentive programs.
9. Real Estate Industry
- Real Estate Platforms: Incorporate solar energy information into real estate listings to highlight properties with high solar potential.
Why Master Planner and Master Concept
Master Concept has been a premier partner of Google Maps Platform for over a decade, Master Concept possesses extensive expertise and practical experience in this field. We strive for the best solution for transportation operators in the APAC regions to achieve their best performance. Enhance your customer services with the latest Google Maps features. Contact us now!
New sustainability tools help businesses and cities map environmental information
Going beyond the map: Introducing Environment APIs
Powering the future with our new Solar API
Introducing the Air Quality API: Promoting resilience to a changing climate
Announcing the Pollen API: Providing actionable info about airborne pollen levels worldwide